Friday, July 19, 2013

Week 4

# 1


I decided this would be my first task this week. I chose an interesting text written by a fellow Polish teacher, Jarek Krajka, on writing projects in various genres and the implementation of technology. She talks about argumentative writing and how she added technology to the excercise. I decided I would use her experience to reinforce my writing portfolio in 2nd year at the UCV. After reading her text I have decided to implement the use of new online resources to help my students in their process of data gathering when preparing for the writing about Terrorism or Freedom fighters. I believe that by guiding my students, giving them the appropriate links they can resource to and checking their progress with the class on a daily basis, we can’t go wrong!

# 2
Technology Enhanced Lesson Plan 


To continue, this week we also had to explain how the implementation of technology would improve a lesson. I chose again my 2nd year class and  Nelson Mandela’s component (by the way, happy b-day, Madiba!) and how the discussion of a preview of the movie “Cry Freedom” could help my students to have a clearer picture of the Apartheid in South Africa. This is a component I really feel excited about, because it is more than simply teaching my students how to write properly, but to help them create an opinion through the extensive reading and research of materials related to the topic.
# 3 

How is your research going?
To report on my research process, this week we had to discuss the existence of an issue in our teaching environment that could be sorted out with the implementation of technology. For my dear students of the EIM and fellow teachers likewise, we know this issue is easy: we have NO technology in our classrooms. Saying that we do not count on certain resources would be mean and imprecise; but I stick to my dream, I so want to have a smart board! I dare to dream. The options in my class would expand only by having a set-up radio there, let alone a SMARTBOARD. Maybe if I say it loud it will come true!




6 comments:

  1. MADIBA! You have to watch INVICTUS, that's a great movie about MADIBA.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZY8c_a_dlQ

    Cheers! Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Maria,
    First of all, I'd like to say I like your blog, it's so bright and optimistic. I suppose you are also an optimist so I'm sure all your dream will definitely come true and you'll have all the equipment you want.
    I agree with you that we shouldn't only teach our students some writing strategies but also expand their outlook and provide some extra information about a topic ot issues they are going to discuss or write about. The topic you chose for a task is very deep and thought-provoking. I think it's important to discuss such serious and urgent issues with our students.

    Good luck.
    Valeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Valeria, txs for visiting my blog and for your nice comment! Hope to get my wish! I keep my fingers crossed!
      the component I teach is really taugh, filled with history and language... normally I face two problems: language level and analysis capacity... they are lucky, they have me to help them in heir proces!
      All the best!
      Maria

      Delete
  4. Hi Maria,

    Cry Freedom is an amazing movie. I have watched it like 5 times already. Some scenes are very touching and of course I learnt a lot about apartheid after watching the movie. I'm sure your students are going to enjoy it.

    Best,
    Chetra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Txs for your nice commet, Chetra! I am glad you are familiar with the movie I am talking about. We, humnas, forget about history, the best example of this is how historical events keep on repeating, I insist on that. The component I teach is filled with historical components related to the English speaking world, and my students need to have a broader scope so as not to judge any situation a priori!
      all the best!
      Maria

      Delete