Friday, July 5, 2013

Week 2

Web Searching.....

Dear all, I need to say that during this week I have realized that no matter how often and much you may use a tool, if you don’t learn the tricks of how to use it, you are only misusing it. I have been lucky enough to have come to contact with computers from the moment they started to be a boom in my native Valencia back in the 80’s. I learned the mysteries of COBOL, LOTUS, etc. I used to know all the “controls” you had to hold to get special characters in WordStar, etc.
With time, in the 90’s I got my first e-mail address in Yahoo and started to learn the use of the Net. I still can hear my mother saying “Internet is the devil”. In spite of my mom, I 
can say I am not afraid of technology, I know more things than many of my fellow colleagues (which makes me feel proud of myself), but GOD, my students are leaving me way behind!!!!! 
This is me, running behind my students’ bus!
Now, this course on Building Teaching skills through the interactive Web is hitting me in the face by opening my eyes to a diverse world of search engines that I will be sharing with you, and in that way we will all learn! (Txs Courtney!)
I have learned about “noodle tools” and from that site, a wide variety of options have spread to ease my path in the intricate roads of the net. Links to come!
Fellows, this is the world we are living, we just need to stop crying for not knowing and get control of the situation. My piece of advice: start training to run at an adequate pace!


... &  ABCD Objectives

I am not a trained teacher, in fact, my professional training is in the area of Translation and Interpretation studies, However, since my whole life has been devoted, in one way or another, to teaching, I have felt compelled to acquire necessary tools to face my students needs. In 2010 I had the luck to participate in a class on Instructional Design and one of the course’s objectives was to become familiar with the statement of Class Objectives. Therefore, this is not the first time for me to deal with Blooms' Taxonomy and 
Bloom's Taxonomy
the preparation of well explained class objectives. But, I need to say that in this point I agree with that old saying that goes “let’s start for the very beginning… when you read you start with ABC...” and so on…A+ to the explanation provided by Penn State Learning Design Community Hub!

 The ABCD method of writing objectives  is clear, totally straight to the point and filled with valuable examples. I am sure that this way to understand the statement of objectives can help any person 

organize his/her ideas logically and neatly.
Cheers!

11 comments:

  1. Remember the "good old times" when we used to go to the library and get some books on the topic we were researching? When internet started, we used to tell our students, that the information online is not to be compared to a real library... seems like ages and ages hence; but that was only a few years ago. I'm sure I have students in classrooms who have never actually gone to a library and indulged in the sweet pleasure of just looking at the book covers and maybe discovering some old book that sounded interesting (I remember clearly that was how I discovered Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stow (Onkel Toms Huette; I read it in German). Nowadays, students use google. Sadly enough, it's about the only thing they know. I think as teachers we needn't convince them to go to a library (even though I still like that idea), but rather help them discover new sources, such as the Gutenberg Project, which puts books available online.
    So, whoever is reading this, have a look at: http://www.gutenberg.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice comment, Thom, this is so clever, I remember my days at Uni's library, having to go through books for any partucular research I was working on, I remember going from one library to the next in the search of the right reading, I remember... (just sound like my dear-old aussi singer Paul Kelly!) I agree, I wonder if my students have ever set foot in a library ever, but yet, is that so relevant? are they less intensive readers than we were? I don't think so, what has changed is the way to do it... so nice talking to you!
      Chhers

      Delete
    2. So, yesterday, well two days ago, I finally registered at the central library (after like how many years of studying), only to find out that they were about to close that day... and I figured out that it is necessary to go to a library if you study at UCV. For instance at FACES, the Bachelor and Master Papers are not online, only in book-form in the library. (I would understand that if it were from decades ago, but they should have stuff digital.) Anyway, in FACES you can take the books, go to the copy store and get some copies from th parts you really need. In Farmacia, however, you cannot. So there I am, the lady gives shows me the books and I want to fetch them. No way! You are not allowed to go fotocopy them, nor take pictures. I asked whether she allow me to sit down and read them (who knows). I totally don't understand that. One is supposed to work with research other people have done. But they make it almost impossible... Long text to basically say: library-visits become necessary, at least at the final point of your studies, and at the UCV. So, students, you had better go familiarize with the library, 'cuz sooner or later you're gonna need it. Cheers, Thomas'n'out.

      Delete
    3. Wow, something similar happened to me when gathering information on previous pieces of research for my project in Pedagógico de Caracas, I could read the dissertations but no copies, no nothing... and yes, we have to try not to forget how to walk in a library, so agree with you.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Hey! I really liked your post though I don't remember those stuff because I wasn't born yet!! Hahahaha I do agree with the fact that tools have improved and we have to learn how to use the new ones... which are like a lot!! xD Every day we find more and more tools in the Internet "zone", it's cool but sometimes it can be overwhelming...I think it is a matter of trying to know at least a bit of each one... As a student, I only know a few tools, and I think that getting to know them in a classroom would be amazing and useful!! :D
    ps: the blog is cool, prof! I can't wait to read a little bit more... xD Perhaps adding a music player with the beautiful music we learn and hear in your classes would be even cooler!!! Good luck!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try the music player, once I learn how to do it! txs for taking the time for posting. Come and see me some other time!

      Delete
  3. Hi. This is such an interesting post. I like it a lot the part you were describing how technology and your relationship with it has evolved. Regarding, ABCD model, it's new to me too as a systematic way to write study objectives, but I can comprehend it just fine. Anyway, thanks for the article. Regards, Chetra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Txs, Chetra, for your posting! I'm so glad you found t interesting! Come and see me some other t6ime!
      Cheers!
      Mariale

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post! Kudos for the humor. It's not the first time I read about class objectives, but this method is quite interesting and it's very clearly explained on that website. I look forward to reading more about teaching skills and techniques on this blog, especially those related to the web. Don't forget to provide links so that we can further expand our knowledge! Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your word is my command, check my "delicious" website, I am sure you'll find some (not so many, yet) of interesting websites you can use for teacher training!
      All the best, Juan
      Cheers!

      Delete